General Planning & Building Information
- The McAllen Convention Center is a non-smoking facility.
- Parking on loading docks is permitted for loading and unloading only. All other parking is prohibited; violators will be towed at owner’s expense.
- Animals are not permitted in the facility, except those in compliance with ADA regulations.
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning and house lighting is provided only during show hours.
- A preliminary agenda is required sixty (60) days before the event.
- A final agenda is due thirty (30) days before the event.
- Facility contractor or an authorized representative must be on-site when exhibitors and/or attendees occupy leased space.
- Facility contractor is required to pay the prevailing rate in effect at the time of the event for all services and equipment.
- A request to add or delete equipment (a reset) or a request for a change (a changeover) to the first room setup is subject to additional charges.
- Helium balloons, glitter, confetti, and streamers are not allowed.
- Use of tape or adhesive products, nails, tacks, pins, etc. on any surface in the facility is not allowed.
- Facility contractor must return the facility to the condition in which it was received, with the exception of normal wear and tear. Additional fees are assessed for the disposal of excess refuse or display materials left on-site.
- Costs for damages to the facility or for clean up of the facility are billed to the facility contractor.
- Equipment is maintained to accommodate simultaneous events and is assigned on a first-come first-serve basis. Equipment and furnishings beyond the inventory of the McAllen Convention Center are the responsibility of the facility contractor to obtain and provide labor to set and dismantle.
- Alcoholic beverages may be served within the facilities during certain events (i.e. dances, receptions).
- Centerplate, the exclusive caterer and concessionaire, must provide the service and sale (concession) of food and beverage, including alcohol, for all events in the McAllen Convention Center. Contact a Centerplate representative for more information at (956) 681-3863.
- McAllen Convention Center clients are responsible for security comprised of off-duty McAllen Police Department officers at any event in which alcohol is being served or sold. The final number of officers is determined solely by the McAllen PD based on event requirements. McAllen Convention Center clients can contact the McAllen PD directly at (956) 681-2203 for more information or to make arrangements.
- BYOB (Bring You Own Bottle) functions are strictly prohibited.
Below are regulations that will be enforced during all events. It is requested that this information be listed in show brochures, programs and/or exhibitor packets. It is your responsibility to inform your exhibitors and personnel associated with your event of these regulations.
- Holes may not be drilled, cored or punched in the building.
- Helium filled balloons are not permitted in the facility
- No adhesive backed (stick-on) decals or similar items may be distributed or used in the building.
- Parking on loading docks is permitted for loading and unloading only. All other parking is prohibited; violators will be towed at their expense.
- Decorations, signs, banners, etc., may not be tape, nailed, tacked, stapled, or otherwise fastened to ceiling, walls, doors, painted surfaces, or columns.
- No carts, hand trucks, etc., with hard wheels are permitted on carpeted surfaces.
- Animals are not permitted in the building without the prior approval from the Director. All events exhibiting ANY kind of animals must first obtain a permit from the City’s Animal Control Division
- No evergreen plants will be permitted.
- Combustion engines may not be operated on the exhibit floor as part of an exhibit.
- No vehicles may be driven in the facility without prior approval from the McAllen Convention Center Director.
- Any vehicle on the show floor must have battery cables disconnected and have no more than one-quarter (1/4) or five (5) gallons of gasoline in the tank. All gas caps must be taped. See Vehicle Demo’s for more restrictions.
- Propane tanks may not exceed five (5) lbs. LPG capacity and require Fire Marshall approval.
- All draping materials, etc., must be flame retardant.
- All planting, fountains, etc., should have waterproof plastic materials underneath.
- All sales of food items must be reviewed and approved by the McAllen Convention Center Director.
- No paint, tape or tape residue should remain on show floor or walls of the facility after move-out is completed. Proper precautions should be taken to prevent damage occurring to floor and wall surfaces.
- All doors of the facility must be unlocked during all open hours of the show for the safety of the patrons.
- The McAllen Convention Center is not responsible for the cleaning of exhibit booths.
- The McAllen Convention Center does not furnish equipment or fixtures (i.e. pipe & drape, tables, extra chairs, carpet, wastebaskets, ladders, carts) for exhibitors. Facility Contractor must contract with a general services contractor (decorator) for these items.
- Exhibitors may provide “bite size” food samples of their individual brand name products. Approved sample sizes must be 2 ounces or less.
- Fire extinguishers must be available in all cooking booths.
- Fire hose cabinets, fire pull stations, aisle ways and exits may not be blocked or obstructed.
- Covered displays exceeding 300 square feet must meet specific regulations.
- Open flames are not permitted in the facility.
- Toxic or hazardous materials are subject to immediate removal if the required information is not received and Fire Marshal instructions are not followed.
- All costs associated with safe handling of materials, including insurance, are the responsibility of the facility contractor.
Concessions, alcoholic beverage and catering services are exclusive to the in-house food and beverage management company, Centerplate. For more information, call (956) 681-3863.
Utilities / Electrical Service
- Utility services (electrical, water & drain, gas, and telephone services) are exclusive to the MCC.
- A three (3) hour minimum is charged for labor unless otherwise specified.
- Unscheduled labor may be subject to the overtime charges of one and one-half (1 1/2) the regular rate.
- Unarmed security is an exclusive service to the McAllen Convention Center.
- The McAllen Convention Center maintains twenty-four (24) hour building monitoring in the public space and grounds.
- The Mcallen Convention Center determines the number and type of personnel required for an event and may require additional personnel to manage specialized move-in and move-out requirements.
- A four (4) hour minimum for labor is charged unless otherwise specified.
- Credit is not given for security services ordered and not used. The McAllen Convention Center determines the number and type of personnel required for an event. Overtime fees may apply.
- The department reserves the right to require the use of designated rigging personnel for hanging any item when necessary or when safety is a concern.
- Requests for installation of show banners, exterior signs, interior signs, directional signs and rigging must be submitted to the event coordinator, and approved, before the first contract day.
- All rigging services are performed and/or supervised by the department rigging personnel. Fees may apply.